All 6 are essential for you to adapt to change...
from Dr. Kenneth D. Mackenzie's The Practitioner's Guide to Organizing Organizations
There are six desired organizational characteristics for an efficiently adaptable organization in the holonomic organization model. Each is described in terms of a set of conditions, all 6 of which must be met if the organization is to possess this Desired Organizational Characteristic [DOC].
1. Clarity of Direction
Means that the organization has a:
- Clearly defined Strategic Direction, and that
- Every Associate, unit and the organization as a whole knows what must be done and how to get it done, and
- The organization has the will and means for maintaining Clarity of Direction.
2. Clarity of Structures
- The many organizational tasks and their Technological Support Systems are understood,
- Their interdependencies are recognized and understood,
- There is position clarity throughout the organization,
- The Organizational Logic and the Organizational Architecture are congruent, and
- The organization has the will and the means to maintain Clarity of Structures.
3. Clarity of Measurement
Means that, throughout the organization. there are:
- Clearly defined performance standards which are defined by and linked to the work itself and
- Supported by an Organizational Rewards System that is linked to the work itself and the Technological Support Systems that
- Motivate each Associate and unit to achieve these standards and those of the entire organization and
- The organization has the will and the means for maintaining this Clarity of Measurement.
4. Successful Goal Achievement
Means that, given the Strategic Direction, the following three-step process is followed throughout the organization:
- Deciding what must be done, then
- Determining how to get it done, and then
- Making sure that it gets done successfully.
Furthermore, the means and will exist for ensuring that this process for Successful Goal Achievement is operating throughout the organization.
5. Results Oriented Problem Solving
Means that the following seven-step process is followed throughout the organization:
- Decisions are made at the lowest possible level at which the work or problem occurs
- The best available resources are brought to bear on the problem solving tasks
- These resources are utilized in problem solving
- There is clear identification of the accountable decision maker and those Associates who are in support
- The problem solving process is healthy and nonpolitical
- The rewards for successful problem solving and for positive results are clearly defined, and
- The result of problem solving is an implementable best decision.
These three criteria are essential:
- Results Oriented Problem Solving is working for the organization as a whole
- Results Oriented Problem Solving is working at the unit-level and for individuals, and
- The will and means exist to ensure Results Oriented Problem Solving
And the final organizational characteristic,
6. Associates Are Assets and Resources
Means that, given the Strategic Direction, the following conditions are met throughout the organization:
- Associates are a continuing source of results as the organization evolves
- Associates continually contribute knowledge, information and energy to solve the organization's problems and enable it to seize opportunities as it adapts to its dynamically complex environments.
- The means and will exist for ensuring that Associates are treated as assets and resources throughout the organization.
These six Desired Organizational Characteristics of the efficiently adaptive organization need to be characteristic of the entire organization and not just of senior management.
|How Well Organized is YOUR Organization?
Your Business Will Succeed...
You have The Roadmap for Success
The Practitioner's Guide for Organizing an Organization
Is All About
- PGOO shows how to identify the most pressing problems to solve
- PGOO introduces the ODS-OL (Organizational Diagnostic Survey –Online) - an electronic assessment tool that is highly effective, easy to use, systematic and data-based
- PGOO explains how to produce a better-organized organization
Chaos Busters - The Management Guide
Identifies 160 Key Business Questions
160 Key Business Questions are the keys to unlock the hidden potential of your organization!
- 160 Key Business Questions will stimulate creativity and innovation for your entire management team!
160 Key Business Questions will save you time and make your work more effective!
160 Key Business Questions is a Multi-purpose tool with unlimited applications!
Family Business Experts Understands
Family Values andBusiness Systems
Return from Organizational Characteristics to
Change Management Theories
SHARE THIS PAGE WITH FAMILY, FRIENDS & BUSINESS ASSOCIATES!
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.